Yesterday, the Beacon Street penthouse of God's nephew and his small-town girl quietly passed the 250-day mark on the sales market. All the while, Tom Brady and Giselle Bundchen have held the price at $10,500,000, while all around them in luxury Boston (and Cambridge!) prices have been slashed by ridiculous amounts. What next?
First, the chronology:
· It was in 2009 that they first put the 3-BR, 3.5-BA Back Bay duplex on the market for $10.9 million.
· Son Benjamin was born in December of that year, and the new parents took the penthouse off the market shortly afterward.
· In mid-October 2011, news broke that the couple had put it back on the market—for $400,000 less than the previous asking. That still placed it in very rarefied company, not only in Back Bay but in Greater Boston.
· In late October, Gisele was spotted about town house-hunting. Or maybe not. For a smaller space. Or maybe not.
· On Dec. 1, the Back Bay penthouse marked 50 days on the market.
· Shortly afterward, the couple added photos to the listing. Still no interior shots, though. (And those newer photos appear to have been taken down, leaving us with just building and view shots.)
· The week before Christmas 2012 news broke that their under-construction 22,000-square-foot mansion in L.A. was almost finished.
· A nearby townhouse, at 318 Beacon Street, hit the sales market in February for exactly the same price. It, too, remains on the market.
· Tomsele's place passed the 150-day mark and then the 200-day mark, and here we are. Same bat channel, same bat price.
Will it come down? As we noted, oh, 50 days ago, the trends suggest yes. And they still do. Take the two biggest Boston deals of the year so far: 15 Commonwealth Avenue, which traded for $12,500,000 in April; and 3 Louisburg Square, which went for $11,000,000 a little while later. Both involved price-chops to get to the sale. That, and this trend: Significant numbers of higher-end Hub homes are selling for well below their asking prices if not their assessed values. (Indeed, four of the five priciest downtown Boston condos to trade in April went for under asking.) Stay tuned. We sense an audible.
· Listing: 310 Beacon Street [Zillow]
· Cambridge Spread $500K Cheaper This Week [Curbed Boston]
· What, So Soon? 5-Day-Old Waterfront Listing $850K Off [Curbed Boston]
· Boston's Luxury Market: Hold the Champagne, Grab the Cava? [Curbed Boston]
· Downtown's Top Apt. Deals: 80 Percent Trade for Under Asking [Curbed Boston]
· Will Tom Brady's L.A. Plans Spur Back Bay PH Sale? [Curbed Boston]
· Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Add Stair Shot to Back Bay Listing [Curbed Boston]
· Can Tom Brady's Winning Streak Extend to His Back Bay PH? [Curbed Boston]
· Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen Downsizing in Back Bay? [Curbed Boston]
· Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Price-Chop Back Bay Manse [Curbed Boston]
· Boston's Biggest Sale of '12! $12.5M for 15 Commonwealth [Curbed Boston]
· $11M for 3 Louisburg Square: Boston's 2nd-Biggest Deal of '12 [Curbed Boston]