O.K., take it easy. Here's what we know: There is a deal pending for the bonkers-ornate Mason House in Back Bay, which first hit the sales market in March 2013, for $17,900,000, before dropping its tag steadily to the still formidable $14,995,000.
Such an asking price for the the 14,850-square-foot, 11-BR mansion with an elevator to every floor and a five-car garage (not to mention a dedicated music room and a walled garden) positions it perfectly to trump the current Boston record-holder: the Ames-Webster Mansion, which traded in March 2013 for $14,500,000 to a Saudi businessman intent on turning it from office space into a private residence(s). The Mason House could lose a few hundred thousand on the closing and still come out on top. Stay tuned.
· Listing: 211 Commonwealth Avenue [Coldwell Banker]
· On Toppling Boston's Listings King [Curbed Boston]
· Inside Boston's Priciest Listing of the New Year! [Curbed Boston]
· Boston's Most Expensive Home Sale Ever! [Curbed Boston]
· Our Big Deals archive [Curbed Boston]