Vegas mogul Steve Wynn went directly to the people Wednesday night in a conference call with Everett residents wanting to know more about his plans for a casino-resort along the Mystic River.
· The call revealed that the design of the casino-resort would mimic local architecture: "If you like the way the Boston skyline looks, you'll love our building." What's that mean, exactly? According to Wynn, it means a classic brick look on the lower levels and then a glassy Vegas look on the upper ones.
· Though it will not be until April when he personally unveils renderings of the casino-resort, Wynn said he hopes it has at least 500 hotel rooms.
· The casino-resort will be "family-friendly" and areas along the Mystic will be open to the general public.
· It would take at least two years to build.
· And as for the other leading proposal for eastern Mass.' casino license, well... the people behind Suffolk Downs in East Boston (including, presumably, Boston Mayor Tom Menino) are "smart, lovely friends" of Wynn's. His plans are just better.
Lest you think Wynn's charm offensive gives his plan the upper hand against Suffolk Downs, The Herald's Frank Quaratiello reminds us that he tried the same thing in Foxborough to "disastrous" results. Wynn's plans there were "torpedoed by town residents."
· Casino Tycoon Chats Up Everett Residents [Herald]
· Our complete casinos coverage [Curbed Boston]