Now, first of all, the asking rent's up to $23,000 a month, so you missed your $20,000-a-month window. Not only that, but the 4,856-square-foot spread is, as of this weekend, asking $7,200,000. The sales listing was removed in the waning days of 2012, after the price had been slashed to $4,999,000; and has been re-listed with Warren Residential's William Montero (who's having a rather good 2013 so far).
For that new price (or rent—whichever comes first), you get four bedrooms; four and a half bathrooms; five fireplaces; 14-foot-plus ceilings; and a bar you'd step over your souse-est uncle to own. The building itself was originally built for a Mr. T.K. Cushing in 1871, but was later purchased by Salem native William Crowninshield Endicott (hand to God, his real middle name), who served as Secretary of War under President Cleveland in the late 1880s.
· Listing: 163 Marlborough Street, #2/4 [Zillow]
· $5.2M Triplex at 163 Marlborough Rebrands Itself [Curbed Boston]
· 163 Marlborough Triplex Bucks Boston Trend, Cuts Rent $1K [Curbed Boston]
· The Top 20 Real Estate Brokers in Boston Right Now [Curbed Boston]
· Our Million Dollar Babies archive [Curbed Boston]