The sale of the Mason House at 211 Commonwealth Avenue in Back Bay, one of the most opulent properties to hit the Boston sales market in years, hath closed. The 14,580-square-foot mansion with at least 11 bedrooms and nine full bathrooms, as well as a dedicated music room and an elevator to every floor, originally dropped in March 2012 for what seemed a perfectly reasonable $17,900,000. It then burned through various price changes as well as a brokerage switch (ending up with Coldwell Banker) before finally officially trading the day before Valentines Day.
The final going rate? A rather precise $12,736,000. That easily makes it the priciest sale in Boston so far this young year (and, based on what's on the market now, we're willing to wager it ends up the priciest of 2014 in total). Incidentally, the Mason House last traded in February 1998, at least two recessions ago, for $5,300,000. Thank God we live in these times.
· Listing: 211 Commonwealth Avenue [Coldwell Banker]
· Mason House Hits the Market for $17.9M, Music Room and All [Curbed Boston]
· Mason House's Mega-Slice: $1.4M! Still the Priciest in Boston [Curbed Boston]
· Our complete Mason House coverage [Curbed Boston]
· Our Big Deals archive [Curbed Boston]