The fifth annual Curbed Cup, our award for the best Hub neighborhood of the year, is kicking off with 16 enclaves vying for the prestigious fake trophy. We'll have two match-ups per day this week, and all the results and the full tourney bracket will be reviewed on Friday. Voting for each pairing ends after 24 hours. Let the eliminations continue!
Our next match-up is between two of the region's tech-y-est areas: No. 4 seed Kendall Square vs. No. 13 the Seaport District.
What can you say about Kendall Square? Already the bustling hub of the region's technology industry, the Cambridge enclave has also seen its share of big-time development this year. In particular, M.I.T. started moving forward on its plans for six new buildings with 740 apartments and nearly 1 million square feet of research and office space, not to mention three acres of public parkland. Plans to rezone the 14-acre Volpe transportation center in Kendall moved forward in 2015 as well, with officials even floating the idea of a 1,000-foot tower for the site. And, lest we forget, Kendall Square remained one of the priciest areas in Greater Boston to rent an apartment. That's something.
Boston's Seaport District, home of the bulk of the city's Innovation District, also saw some major development this year as well as some major debuts. For one thing, Twenty Two Liberty, the first new residential development in the neighborhood to go on sale, dropped—and dropped big, with multiple multi-million-dollar trades. Construction also started in the neighborhood on Boston's first-ever Yotel and on what could possibly be the most cleverly designed new office tower in the city (see above). Finally, sea steps! Yes, 2015 was the year that the Seaport took great strides toward becoming something beyond simply becoming something, if you catch our drift.
· Go Time for M.I.T.'s Six-Building Revamp in Kendall Square [Curbed Boston]
· New England's Tallest Building Could Go Up in Kendall Square [Curbed Boston]
· Cheapest, Priciest Hub Areas to Rent an Apt. as 2015 Ends [Curbed Boston]
· Twenty Two Liberty Sales: Gobsmacking As Everyone Thought [Curbed Boston]
· Here Is the First Rendering of the Future Seaport Yotel [Curbed Boston]
· Let's All Cheer the Seaport's Super-Elliptical Office Tower [Curbed Boston]
· Here's a Closer Look at the Future Sea Steps of Pier 4 [Curbed Boston]
· Our Curbed Cup 2015 archive [Curbed Boston]