The fifth annual Curbed Cup, our award for the best Hub neighborhood of the year, is kicking off with 16 enclaves vying for the prestigious fake trophy. We'll have two match-ups per day this week, and all the results and the full tourney bracket will be reviewed on Friday. Voting for each pairing ends after 24 hours. Let the eliminations continue!
Now up: Fellow downtown Boston enclaves Downtown Crossing, the No. 6 seed, and No. 11 the Financial District.
Downtown Crossing hosts the most significant new residential building in Boston in ages Millennium Tower. The approximately 690-foot luxury condo tower officially topped off in September (its construction crane became one of the tallest structures in city history when it reached 885 feet the same month). The neighborhood also saw the debut of the Godfrey Hotel this year and the continued sales success of Millennium Place. Does all this mean Downtown Crossing finally crosses that hump from 9-to-5 to 24-7? Stay tuned.
Boston's oft-overlooked Financial District is ending 2015 with a bang: The city transferred ownership of the Winthrop Square Garage earlier this month to the Boston Redevelopment Authority. Why is this a big deal? Because it brings that much closer to fruition a major plan for a major building on the FiDi property. The neighborhood could see serious work starting in 2016. Oh, and a snazzy winter garden at 100 Federal Street.
· Millennium Tower Sets a Date for Its Official Topping-Off [Curbed Boston]
· Millennium Tower's Crane Now Boston's Tallest Structure Ever [Curbed Boston]
· Record Prices Prove Boston Hotels Certainly Inn Demand [Curbed Boston]
· Millennium Place Still Turning Out Big Sales Two Years On [Curbed Boston]
· The Tower That Hopes to Remake Downtown Crossing [Curbed Boston]
· The Eight Mega-Proposals Vying for Boston's Winthrop Square [Curbed Boston]
· Winthrop Square Development: Familiar Names, Big Ideas [Curbed Boston]
· Financial District's 100 Federal Could Get a Winter Garden [Curbed Boston]
· Our Curbed Cup 2015 archive [Curbed Boston]