Everyone knows about the Red Line expansion to Lexington that wasn't. And the Blue Line to Lynn that also wasn't. And certainly the Green Line to Medford that will likely soon be. But how many remember plans to push the Orange Line all the way to Dedham and to Reading on the other end?
The map above comes from what was essentially a bull session in 1945 by the predecessor of today's beleaguered MBTA. As you can see, the Orange was supposed to have gone a lot farther in either direction; but, like with other plans, interest and financing waned as did enthusiasm for connecting the outer portions of the region with the inner (oh, how times have changed!). Still, it's difficult these wintry days to muster enthusiasm for laying more T down.
· The Red Line Stops in Arlington and Lexington [Curbed Boston]
· That Time the Blue Line Was Supposed to Go to Lynn [Curbed Boston]
· The Green Line Extension Is Really Happening [Curbed Boston]
· Somerville Is Doomed to Be a More Desirable Place to Live [Curbed Boston]
· Our Curbed's Could Have Been archive [Curbed Boston]