Micro-apartments have been popping up by the dozens in Greater Boston in the last few years, going by such aliases as innovation units and micro-lofts. However you dub these roses and where you plant them, they smell generally the same rent-wise: that is, they're comparable, if not more expensive than, studios and even 1-BRs of similar age and size. Still, micro-apartments! From the Seaport District to East Cambridge, they're the trend that won't die. And we've got the five buildings in the region with sizable amounts of 'em. Let's start with one opening in a matter of weeks.
100 Pier 4
The 359-unit development, part of a much larger project in the Seaport District, includes 50 innovation units spread over two floors. Above is a 3D rendering of a 460-square-foot studio asking $2,574 a month. The complex opens next month.
One Seaport Square
The 832-unit Seaport District behemoth, which includes both the Benjamin and VIA towers (and a ton of retail space), officially broke ground in November. Some of its 96 innovation units, which will be concentrated in the VIA spire, are due to be as small as 365 square feet. The rents for these are not yet clear.
This 38-unit conversion of an old Fort Point shoe factory dropped in early 2013, and its apartments quickly leased up, including 23 innovation units. Some of these were asking well north of $2,000 a month.
315 on A
Another Fort Point creation, 315 on A held its grand opening in January 2014. It included studios as small as 464 square feet renting for well over $2K a month. It also fostered the concept of 20-Minute Living, which you can't put a price tag on.
Avalon North Point Lofts
The 103-unit East Cambridge complex carved from an old hot-dog factory (yup) opened in late 2014, and includes what are called micro-lofts. The available 450-square-foot ones now ask at least $2,285 a month.
· The Biggest Greater Boston Apartment Openings in 2015 [Curbed Boston]
· The 10 Hub Real Estate Developments to Watch in 2015 [Curbed Boston]
· Fort Point's Factory 63 Leases Up Real, Real Fast [Curbed Boston]
· What It Looks Like to Live Inside Boston's '20-Minute Living' [Curbed Boston]
· Boston Micro-Apartments Are Real Estate Vampires [Curbed Boston]
· What, Exactly, Makes a Home a Micro-Home in Greater Boston? [Curbed Boston]
· Our Micro Week 2015 archive [Curbed Boston]