The 30-story, 398-unit AVA Theater District at 45 Stuart Street will be the biggest apartment-building opening in all of Boston this year. The cantilevered tower has just started leasing, with an eye toward a springtime opening, and its stock of stacked apartments includes studios of fewer than 500 square feet. To be clear, they're being marketed as "studios" and not "micro-apartments." But, given that in Boston there is no hard-and-fast definition of the term, we're going to go ahead and call the 469-square-foot studio rendered above, and its similarly sized mates, micro-apartments.
The unit, Apartment 1512, is asking $2,364 a month for a 12-, 13- or 14-month lease. To be fair, some AVA Theater District studios run to 666 square feet, like the one rendered below. That extra space, though, means extra rent: Apartment 2410 is asking $3,525 for leases up to 14 months. The tower's developer, busy, busy AvalonBay, has targeted its newest Boston creation toward younger professionals, just the sorts of folks who (in theory) are comfortable with such tight spaces at such premiums. Perhaps, then, it will all work out, and the AVA Theater District will not have to join the legion of newer towers offering free rent.
· Website: AVA Theater District [AvalonBay]
· The Biggest Greater Boston Apartment Openings in 2015 [Curbed Boston]
· Meet AVA Theater District and Its Bike-Repair Room [Curbed Boston]
· $10K a Month to Live Above North Station? It Could Happen. [Curbed Boston]
· Hub Micro-Apartments: Follow the Money and the Rest Is Noise [Curbed Boston]
· What, Exactly, Makes a Home a Micro-Home in Greater Boston? [Curbed Boston]
· Here's Where to Rent in Greater Boston Right This Second [Curbed Boston]
· Our Micro Week 2015 archive [Curbed Boston]