The building at 65 Anderson Street in Beacon Hill has one of Boston's more interesting property pedigrees. It was built in 1862 to house the Philips School, one of the first racially integrated public schools in the United States (it was named for abolitionist Wendell Philips, and opened as the Civil War raged). According to the National Park Service, the redbrick structure is one of the few remaining Boston examples of a school building in the Italianate style. It has long since been converted into residences; and the capacious Penthouse 3B/4A there just hit the sales market. The 2-BR, 3-BA duplex spreads over some 2,300 square feet and comes with an onsite parking space. There are also several skylights and a wine room. Oh, and the price! $2,100,000.
· Mapping the Civil War in the Hub 150 Years After Its End [Curbed Boston]
· Our Million Dollar Babies archive [Curbed Boston]