The bones of the 3,773-square-foot, 12-room Colonial at 20 Gray Gardens West in Cambridge's Observatory Hill date from 1810. The house was originally built in the South Shore town of Duxbury as the home of a sea captain. A new owner, a Harvard professor who had a certain zest for Colonial architecture, transported it to its current spot in the 1930s. The prof had the spread reconstructed atop a new foundation, leaving the early-19th-century flourishes intact.
Twenty Gray Gardens West had dropped on the sales market in late February for $2,450,000 through Compass' Christian Jones and John Petrowsky. It's now in contract for $2,225,000. Somebody else apparently digs Colonial architecture, too.
- Look Inside a Cambridge Colonial That's More Than 200 Years Old [Curbed Boston]