The year now closing spawned some pretty interesting renderings of various Boston-area developments. Here were the half-dozen projects with the most captivating renderings.
Nordblom Company is currently redeveloping the Boston Globe’s former 16-acre footprint in Dorchester as a technology hub. That name of the project—the BEAT—stands for the Boston Exchange for Accelerated Technology.
Dock Square Garage redevelopment
Officials are considering Fortis Property Group’s proposal to redevelop the Dock Square Garage at 20 Clinton Street in downtown Boston, complete with crowning the seven-story carpark with a 10-story addition—and then draping everything in terracotta louvers and perforated metal panels. And are those stairs on the roof?
1000 Boylston Street
Developer Weiner Ventures is moving toward building a 484-foot, 27-story tower with 108 condos atop a podium base and straddling the Massachusetts Turnpike in Back Bay. The scaled-back project—it was originally supposed to be two towers—won Boston Planning & Development Agency approval in March 2018.
TD Garden expansion
TD Garden is undergoing its first major expansion since the Boston arena opened in 1995. Delaware North, its owner and operator, is sinking $100 million into the home of the Bruins and the Celtics to expand it by 50,000 square feet. Delaware North released snazzy before-and-after renderings in November, including of the entrance and of part of Level 5.
Charlestown Navy Yard observation wheel
This rendering dropped as late as early December via a suite of proposals for enlivening the Charlestown Navy Yard. A 180-foot observation wheel is part of the proposal from Upton + Partners.
Boston University stack
This might be the single most interesting Boston real estate rendering of 2018: The one for Boston University’s planned 19-story tower at 645-665 Commonwealth Avenue in the Kenmore Square area. The KPMB Architects design is supposed to resemble a stack of books as the tower is set to host the university’s data sciences center, including the mathematics, computer science, and statistics departments. Do you see it?
- Old Boston Globe headquarters on its way to rivaling Kendall Square [Curbed Boston]
- Dock Square Garage redevelopment would include glass facade, stairs-like roof [Curbed Boston]
- Back Bay’s 1000 Boylston Street could start construction in 2018 [Curbed Boston]
- TD Garden expansion: 7 before-and-after images of the $100 million project [Curbed Boston]
- Charlestown Navy Yard ‘activation’ proposals include observation wheel [Curbed Boston]
- Boston University tower in Kenmore Square area will look like a stack of books [Curbed Boston]