The developer behind the redevelopment of the nearly 20-acre Hood Park site at Rutherford Avenue and D Street in Charlestown has proposed changes to the mega-project through a mid-September filing with the Boston Planning & Development Agency.
Recall that plans for the site stretch back to late 2000, when the precursor to the BPDA signed off on a master plan for the site.
That plan has been amended four times, including in December 2016, when Hood Park LLC, the development consortium behind the project that the Kaneb family controls, received permission to add a residential component. Now the developer is awaiting approval of more changes. These include:
- a 15-year plan to fully build out the project, also called Hood Park, including seven new buildings with commercial, residential, hotel, and retail use and additions to an apartment building under construction;
- 200 more residential units;
- a 1-acre park called Hood Green at the intersection of Spice and D Streets;
- a Bluebikes kiosk to be maintained by the developer;
- a 4,000-square-foot “Kid’s Lab, which will feature programming and be available to the community,” according to the developer;
- and the raising of the project’s footprint 3 feet to make it more resistant to flooding.
The new filing opens up months of public and city review. In the end, the Hood Park development is slated to include 1,785,804 gross square feet in 11 buildings.
Below is a map of the site and then a breakdown of seven proposed buildings, including a pop-up retail spot at 45 Stack Street, courtesy of Hood Park LLC.
- 10 Stack Street: 365,000 square feet, 235-foot height
- 100 Hood Park Drive addition (office/lab space): 150,000 square feet, 190-foot height
- 30 Stack Street (office/lab space): 110,000 square feet, 130-foot height
- 45 Stack Street (pop-up retail): 6,050 square feet, 20-foot height
- 35 Supertest Street (office/residential): 338,500 square feet, 290-foot height
- 25 Supertest Street (hotel): 88,500 square feet, 100-foot height
- 15 Supertest Street (retail): 12,000 square feet, 20-foot height; 1,765 total parking spaces; 1,687 within structured garages and 78 along interior streets; 50,000 square feet of open green space; and a 130-room hotel space (88,500 square feet)